Friday, November 4, 2011

Art Lesson 2: Shading and Value

It is time for gray-scales. Yeah. Fundamentals of drawing. I always tell my students that I did these even when I was in college. You go from the darkest value to white with even steps in between. I was impressed with how well they did.

A trick I told them was to squint your eyes. This will help you see if the steps are gradually getting darker. It is also helpful when you are drawing. The values are easier to see when things are out of focus and you aren't paying attention to the details of the object.

We drew an egg first then a white ceramic bird. It is much easier to see gradating values in white objects. Overall they did really well. We will still need work on applying the gray-scales to actual objects. 

Next lesson they have asked for a craft. Anyone have a favorite? I don't think hairbows will fly.

No comments: